What are nonprofit best practices?
To assist nonprofits in their pursuit of operational excellence, standing committees comprised of best-in-class nonprofits and experts (and funders, where appropriate) collaborate in the development and maintenance of a circumspect set of best practice standards in the following six sections of nonprofit operations:
- Program Management & Accountability
- Fundraising, Marketing & Communications
- Governance, Legal & Risk Management
- Accounting & Financial
- People & Organizational Development
- Technology & Business Systems
Each of these categories is broken down into many subcategories. For more detailed information about each area of nonprofit best practices, please click here. OpX360 was born here.
Are there other areas of best practices?
Yes, we frequently receive recommendations for new subcategories. Recent suggestions include:
- Social responsibility
- Commercial and quasi-commercial activities
- Strategic planning
- Defining or refining the mission
- Strategic partnerships, collaborations, and/or amalgamations
- Crisis management or damage control
- Maximizing protections, exemptions, accommodations, and privileges
Who does The Capin Center for Nonprofit Excellence serve?
The Center’s mission is to help nonprofits, funders, and industry experts work better together for the greatest impact.
Who is OpX360 for?
OpX360 is a powerful tool for nonprofits that want to significantly increase operational competence and demonstrate improved organizational capabilities to funders. Funders can use it to gain greater confidence in the nonprofits they fund.
How does OpX360 work?
It’s simple — after you take the convenient online assessment, you’ll receive your OpX360 score, an Executive Briefing to share with your leadership, and a comprehensive Detailed Report that includes information on:
- Your organization’s current level of operational competence in a number of key areas and why each area is important
- The potential impact of non-performance
- The top three most important items to improve first
You’ll also receive a one-year, unlimited-use OpX360 subscription, so you can take the assessment as many times as you’d like as you work to improve your operations.
How does OpX360 benefit nonprofit organizations?
OpX360 can help nonprofits:
- Quickly and significantly increase their operational competence
- Demonstrate improved organizational capabilities to funders
- Gain greater access to new funding streams, partnerships, and opportunities
How does OpX360 benefit funders?
OpX360 can help funders:
- Gain greater confidence in the nonprofits they fund (or are considering funding)
- Gain greater confidence in the projects they support
- Deepen their nonprofit relationships and mission alignment for greater impact
How much does OpX360 cost?
The OpX360 modules are designed to be relevant and affordable for any nonprofit, regardless of size or sector. The modules can be purchased individually or together, depending on your organization’s needs, and tiered and bundled pricing is available. Each module comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Learn more here.
How long does it take to complete an OpX360 assessment?
Each module takes approximately an hour to complete. You can pause at any time and receive an email with a link to restart the assessment where you left off. There is no time limit.
When will we receive our reports?
Your Executive Briefing and Detailed Report will be emailed to you within an hour of completing the OpX360 assessment.
We took an OpX360 assessment… what’s next?
To help you prioritize next steps, your report will highlight the three most important items to focus on first. If you would like help implementing the suggested improvements, we can connect you to vetted industry experts and prequalified products and services to help. Please contact us to learn more.
Can we retake an OpX360 assessment?
Yes! Each module includes a one-year, unlimited-use OpX360 subscription, so you can take the assessment as many times as you’d like to improve your operations and check your score.
How were the OpX360 modules developed?
Each OpX360 module was developed by and for nonprofit leaders and practitioners, their funders, and recognized experts serving the specific area of operations. Each module is based on proven industry best practices and standards and overseen by an advisor from The Center.
What other services does The Center provide?
Additional services include objective executive review and oversight, fundraising audits, third-party monitoring, free referrals of pre-qualified industry experts, and other information important to the success of nonprofit organizations. Learn more about our services.
What other resources does The Center provide?
Our website has a range of resources related to finance and accounting, fundraising, marketing, and communications, and governance, legal, and risk management. You can also visit our Newsroom for news and updates relevant to nonprofits, funders, and nonprofit industry experts.
I would like to speak with someone to learn more.
We’d love to talk with you! Please schedule a confidential, no-obligation appointment with us. Click here to contact us.